My Spouse Won't Sign the Divorce Papers. What Should I Do?

Husband and wife looking at divorce papers

Although it may be apparent that the marriage is over, couples are not always on the same page when discussing the idea of filing for a divorce. When asked to sign divorce papers presented, spouses sometimes refuse to do so, hoping to stop the process. Unfortunately, most people don't know that doing this could cause more harm than good. Anytime this happens, it's best for both parties to contact a skilled divorce attorney who can offer them the sound legal experience they need.

What You Need to Know

There are two types of divorce:

Contested: This occurs when one spouse refuses the Petitioner's terms for the divorce.

Uncontested: This occurs when the Respondent entirely agrees to all of the proposed divorce terms and allows the case to proceed the way the Petitioner desires.

If your spouse fails to acknowledge or respond to your petition of divorce by its set deadline, you can proceed by default judgment, in which a Judge can approve the terms outlined in your petition, allowing you to move forward without the cooperation or appearance of your soon-to-be ex-spouse.

How Can an Attorney Help?

Uncontested divorces may not always require the help of a skilled professional. However, most divorces are not that simple, so having an attorney on your side is the most beneficial. Doing so can have many advantages, including:

● They can reduce the amount of stress you have to manage.

● They can provide you with reliable advice.

● They can help avoid any delays in the paperwork filing process.

● They can help prevent mistakes resulting in significant losses like money or child custody.

Let Us Be Your Guide

Divorce can be draining; you should not have to deal with yours alone. With years of experience in helping others in similar situations, our team at Law Offices of Makupson & Howard A PC, understands what you are going through, and we want to help. When choosing our firm, you can rest assured knowing you are well taken care of and that we will offer you the support you need every step of the way.

Contact us today at (888) 328-2734 or visit us online to schedule your consultation and discuss the details of your case.