Divorce is one of the most difficult situations a family can go through. Not only is it a time of emotional turmoil for the spouses, but the children become equally upset over the changes to their life. As Pasadena family law attorneys, we are dedicated to helping families get through this trying experience with as little upset and stress as possible.
Why You Should Choose Us
The Law Offices of Makupson & Howard has 50 years of collective experience and have an excellent understanding of the family law court system and divorce law. Our firm has been honored by several prestigious organizations when it comes to our quality legal representation and we continue to be involved in legal associations regarding family law in California.
Some of our achievements include:
- Named Top Attorneys by Pasadena Magazine in 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 & 2018
- Being Accredited by the Better Business Bureau
- Membership in The State Bar of California
- Attorney Makupson's 10.0 Superb Avvo rating
- Membership in The Los Angeles County Bar Association
We are passionate about fighting for you and your family's needs as you go through divorce. We are committed to discussing your case in full so as to completely understand your goals for the different aspects of the divorce. It is always our goal to attempt amicable resolution of family issues whenever possible. We strive to avoid the emotional stress that animosity between spouses can create, in addition to the added cost of litigation. Nevertheless, when it becomes unlikely that a resolution will be reached, we will aggressively represent you and your children's interests in court in order to achieve the best results for your family.
Get a Divorce Lawyer On Your Side
Filing for divorce may be a time consuming and complex process for any couple. It is essential that you are aware of what this process entails in order to make the best decision for your needs. There are several phases of the divorce process and it is beneficial to have experienced legal advocate who can walk alongside you.
The phases include:
- Initial Filings- one spouse will file for divorce by filling out a petition and the summons, which will be served to the other spouse.
- Financial Disclosures- this is often the phase called Pretrial & Pre-Settlement and is the time period after you initially file and before a settlement is reached. Both parties involved will engage in what is called 'discovery' during this phase. This means that you gather all information (assets, debts, property rights, income, expenses etc…) about the other party and the divorce as a whole that you will use to reach a settlement.
- Negotiations and Hearings- this part of the process involves negotiations between the spouses and usually their attorneys to try and reach a marital settlement agreement. If this does not happen, the court may get involved and hold a hearing to finalize the terms of the divorce.
- Resolution and Judgment- the divorce will be resolved in this phase whether through agreements between spouses or through litigation. Regardless of the method used, the court will approve of the final agreement and the divorce will be finalized.
Why Do I Need a Lawyer for Divorce?
There are many scenarios where having a lawyer is beneficial in a divorce. For example, if you and your spouse are not on good terms, your spouse is being dishonest, your spouse has an attorney or if there is any type of abuse involved. Throughout the process, even if you are going through a collaborative and uncontested divorce, a lawyer can make sure that your rights are protected and your needs are fought for.
The benefits of hiring legal representation for your divorce include:
- Legal guidance who is familiar with the continuous changes in divorce law in CA
- An attorney who knows how and when to file petitions and motions in the divorce process
- Experience with negotiating on matters such as support, custody and property division
- A lawyer who knows the local judges and has experience with the local court procedure
- 50 years of collective experience by your side
Our firm is passionate about assisting the residents of Pasadena in their divorce cases and we devote the time and effort necessary to reach the end results that our clients need and want.
50 Years' Collective Experience
Top Attorneys by Pasadena Magazine 2011-2018
Membership in The State Bar of California
Membership in California Women Lawyers
Membership in The Pasadena Bar Association
Accredited by the Better Business Bureau