Attention:Our firm remains operational offering remote teleconferencing for consultations and appointments via phone and/or Skype for those who are concerned about in-person meetings. We will be offering a free 1/2 hour telephone consultation during this time. If you are an existing client with a court appearance, we are closely monitoring the court system to determine what protocol is being taken. We will notify you of any changes to your upcoming court appearances as information comes in from the Superior Courts. We will continue to offer quality service during this time.

Sincere & Resilient Legal Counsel Where your family needs us, we are here to listen to your needs.

Parental Relocation Attorney in Pasadena

Parental Relocation Issues

Divorces that involve minor children will require an agreement between the spouses regarding child custody. This includes both physical and legal custody. A physical custody agreement resolves where the child will live following the divorce. When there is joint physical custody, the child spends frequent time with both parents. When a parent has sole physical custody, the other parent typically has visitation rights. Legal custody addresses the issue of which parent will make decisions regarding the child's rearing. When there is joint legal custody, both parents make decisions together. If only one spouse has legal custody, that parent makes decisions exclusively.

Once an agreement has been reached, or the court has issued an order regarding custody, modifications to the plan or order can be difficult. This includes any changes that are needed because of parental relocation. A Pasadena divorce lawyer should be contacted at once if you or a spouse has plans to move to get legal advice on custody modifications. Seek representation from the best family lawyer in Pasadena to assist you in your case. The law does not prohibit parents from moving, but the court can prevent a minor from moving with the parent if it violates an existing agreement, parenting plan or court order.

Pasadena Parental Relocation Lawyer

While a custodial parent is allowed to take a child with them when they move, the relocation can also be challenged in court by an ex-spouse who shares custody or has visitation rights.

The court will generally support a move if:

  • It is not detrimental to the child
  • It is job-related and/or increases economic opportunities for the parent
  • The parent is re-marrying

A spouse who disagrees with the move will need to prove that it is in some way harmful to the child. Depending on the circumstances, a move may result in a change of custody from one parent to another.

An unapproved parental relocation can have serious consequences if there is an existing custody agreement or court order. Looking for an attorney for your family law case in Pasadena? The Law Offices of Makupson & Howard can review your parental plan and advise you on your options if you are planning a move, and how best to proceed with a medication petition.

Contact a Pasadena Parental Relocation Lawyer for reliable advice on parental relocation laws.

Client Testimonials

  • “I thought he would be steamrolled in court, but he was calm, collected, and confident.”


  • “Makupson & Howard feels like a family firm (as it is), but the attorneys and their staff work to make their clients feel like family, too.”


  • “I am so happy with Kraig and the whole team at Makupson and Howard for they are great representation in this arduous and stressful thing that is family law.”


  • “At our court hearing Kristen conducted herself with such confidence and poise, and ultimately helped secure a favorable arrangement for our family.”


  • “I'm giving them 5 stars because they work from a place of integrity and extreme diligence”


  • “I highly recommend Ms. Howard.”

    Felicia S.

  • “Kristen explained everything to me and advised me in what was Best for ME!”


  • “I highly recommend this firm to anybody looking for a divorce attorney.”

    Gina E.

  • “Having her as an attorney allowed my stress level to drop down tremendously!”


  • “Listen to her, she knows what she is doing and will give you the best plan moving forward!”


  • “She was able to get me what I needed from the divorce.”

    J. C.