Charlie Sheen's Child Support Request

Charlie Sheen is a famous American movie star and television actor. In the 1980s, he was known for his roles in movies such as, Platoon, Wall Street, and Eight Men Out. By the early 2000s, he was known for his television roles in the sitcoms Two and a Half Men and Anger Management. By 2010, he was the highest paid actor on television earning $1.8 million dollars per episode.

Unfortunately, Sheen was also known for his hard-living personal life as well. Allegations of alcohol and drug abuse, domestic violence abuse and other marital problems, and problems on set were common in celebrity gossip columns. His contract for his role in the sitcom Two and a Half Men was terminated by CBS and Warner Brothers in 2011, and in 2015, Sheen revealed that he was diagnosed as HIV positive.

Sheen is the father of an adult daughter from a relationship in the 1980s. He is also the father of two daughters from his marriage to actress Denise Richards, and two sons (twins) from his marriage to Brooke Mueller. Both of these marriages ended in divorce, and both women were receiving $55,000 per month from Sheen in child support.

In March of 2016, Sheen returned to family court in California and requested a reduction in his child support obligation to Denise Richards. He told the court he was unable to continue paying $55,000 a month to her, because his income had substantially declined. He was no longer collecting a sitcom-actor’s paycheck and his medical bills due to his HIV positive-status were very expensive. The court lowered his payments to $10,000. Shortly thereafter, he returned to family court in his case against Brooke Mueller. Again, Sheen requested a reduction in child support from $55,000 to $10,000 because of his loss of income and increased medical bills. And again, the court granted his request.

In April of 2016, according to TMZ, Richards and Mueller are “…formulating a game plan so they can go back into court…” and increase Sheen’s child support to them, because neither woman is able to support their children on $10,000 per month.

According to California law, child support for minor children is based on the needs of the child and the ability of the parents to pay. Children are entitled to the same standard of living as their parents. Child support can be modified – either up or down - if a parent’s standard of living changes.

Related Posts
  • My Ex will not adhere to our custody arrangement. What do I do? Read More
  • Kristen Howard, Esq. Los Angeles’ Top Attorneys Read More
  • How do I choose a divorce attorney? Read More