Let’s begin with basic hygiene…
Two weeks before your court date:
- Get a haircut or trim if needed so your hair looks its best for your court appearance
- Prepare the clothes you’re going to wear to court. (See clothing suggestions below.) Try them on to ensure they’re appropriate for court. Did you lose/gain weight making them too tight/loose? Are there tears/holes needing mending? Are there stains/wrinkles needing cleaning/ironing?
On the date of your appearance, be sure to:
- Brush your teeth and use mouthwash
- Bathe/shower with soap and water
- Use deodorant (you’ll probably be nervous for your court appearance)
- Make sure your fingernails are clean (Men should keep them short and without colored nail polish and Women should keep them a conservative length – no daggers! – with a neutral color polish
- Women should wear makeup – but conservatively!
- Men shave and/or trim your mustache/beard
- Groom hair neatly and in a conservative style and color
Next up: Dress conservatively, such as something you would wear to church. Be sure your clothes fit; nothing too tight or too baggy.
Women should wear:
- Business suit, nice dress or skirt and blouse, or a pants suit (again, keep it conservative and not tight and DEFINITELY NOT low-cut or too short!)
- Shoes: closed-toe and conservative (no stilettos, extremely high heels, athletic shoes, etc.)
- Keep jewelry to a minimum, such as a watch, one matching pair of stud earrings (no dangling earrings!), small broach or pendant. Remove all other visible piercing jewelry
Men should wear:
- A dress shirt (preferably long-sleeved)
- Conservative suit/sports coat (preferably navy, black, or gray in color)
- Belt or suspenders to hold up your pants
- Shoes should be conservative, closed-toe, unscuffed and polished
- Keep jewelry to a minimum, a wrist watch and, if necessary, one set of VERY small pair or matching stud earrings
- Cover your tattoos
- Remember, if you’re claiming you have no money, but you’re wearing expensive jewelry, you’re appearance says the opposite of what you’re claiming!