It may be difficult to consider even the possibility of a divorce when you are engaged and ready to get married. There are significant advantages to doing so; however, and you may thank yourself later. If a prenuptial agreement is something that you would consider, it is important that you seek legal advice and obtain assistance throughout the process. This is because there are strict laws and procedures to completing this agreement successfully. The top 5 benefits of creating a prenuptial agreement include:
- You will have certainty of what will happen in the event of divorce or death of a spouse
- You are protected from debts that your spouse may bring in
- You can protect your family business and family members outside of the marriage
- You can protect family heirlooms such as estate
- You can minimize divorce costs and fighting in the event of a divorce
If you have any questions regarding a prenup or the benefits that it can have in your situation, feel free to contact us at the Law Offices of Makupson & Howard. The advantages of protecting yourself from major debts and the hassle that can follow a divorce often outweigh the sometimes negative connotation that can come with this type of agreement. This is often the best way to keep your separate property separate. Whether this is your earnings or physical real estate, you can make sure that it is not considered community property.
Before agreeing to or signing a premarital agreement, be sure that you have read all the contents and consulted with a family law lawyer. We can make sure your rights are protected and your wishes are enforced before you enter the agreement. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and we can get started with your prenup.