Pasadena Spousal Support Lawyer
Spousal Support Laws
Spousal support is usually one of the key issues in a divorce case. Couples can make their own agreements regarding support, or have the matter decided by the court. If you and your spouse have decided to divorce, a Pasadena divorce lawyer should be contacted to help mediate a support agreement. Not only does the court prefer that spouses work out their own agreements, it reduces divorce costs and the stress of litigation.
The Law Offices of Makupson & Howard has extensive experience helping clients with divorce-related matters such as spousal support, child custody and visitation. Lawyers at our office understand the emotional impact of a divorce and are committed to providing compassionate and caring legal counsel.
Spousal Support Attorney in Pasadena
When the court makes a determination on spousal support, it bases its decision on numerous factors. One of the most important aspects of a support case is maintaining the standard of living that occurred during the marriage. The court will also look at:
- The spouse's ability to pay
- How long the marriage lasted
- The age and physical health of each spouse
- The assets and debts of each spouse
- What is actually needed in regards to maintaining the standard of living
- The contributions made by a spouse to the other spouse's career education and training
- The needs of a spouse that has custody of minor children
- The relative fairness of the support amount and duration
- How the award would affect the tax obligations of each spouse
- The goal of the spouse requesting support to be self-supporting as soon as possible
- Any history of domestic violence or spousal abuse
Our firm can discuss your qualifications for support and possible outcomes to your case. We can also provide assistance in the preparation of a support agreement between you and your spouse.
Contact a Pasadena Spousal Support Lawyer
from our office to find out more about spousal support laws and support agreements.