Pasadena Annulment Lawyer
Interested in having your marriage annulled in CA?
Annulment is similar to a divorce in California as it is another court
dissolves a marriage.
One key difference between an annulment and a divorce is that an annulment
sees the marriage as if it had never happened in the first place. Divorce dissolves the marriage but it does erase it from ever happening.
It is important to note that you must live in California in order to file
for an annulment in this state, but there is no required length of time
for the residency requirement.
There are several reasons that a couple may choose to have their marriage
annulled rather than go through a divorce. For example, some religions
do not condone divorce in any way so annulment is a way to end the marriage
while avoiding divorce. There are two types of annulments that can take place; a
civil annulment or a
religious annulment. If you are considering either type of annulment, team up with a Pasadena
divorce attorney for help!
Who qualifies for an annulment?
There are only certain circumstances that justify an annulment in California.
Keep in mind that if a marriage was incestuous or bigamous, it was never
legally valid in the first place so an annulment is not necessary.
Other couples can pursue an annulment if any of the following are true:
- The spouse pursing annulment was under age 18 when the marriage took place
- One party was legally married or already in a registered domestic partnership
when the marriage took place
- One party was of 'unsound mind' at the time of the marriage- this
means they could not understand the contract of marriage and the obligations
when the marriage took place
- There was fraudulent consent or some other form of fraud in the marriage
- One party was forced to consent to the marriage or forced to file for the
- There is an incurable physical incapacity to where one party cannot 'consummate'
Annulment Process in California
The first step in pursing annulment is to determine if you meet the requirements
to file. For help in this process, it is advisable to team up with an
annulment attorney in Pasadena who can help.
Your lawyer can assist you in the next steps, including:
- Filling out the required forms for annulment.
- Filing the originals with the court clerk in which you are filing.
- Appointing a process server to serve the annulment forms to your spouse.
- Making sure a Proof of Service of Summons is filed to the court by the
- You and your spouse will need to fill out a disclosure form that includes
your assets and debts.
- Gathering documents and evidence to support the eligibility of annulment
before you attend a hearing.
- Attending the hearing where the judge will determine if you qualify.
- Your marriage can then be annulled.
Need a lawyer for an annulment in Pasadena?
The Law Offices of Makupson & Howard can assist you in the annulment
or divorce process in California. With
more than 50 years of combined experience, we are familiar with all types of family law and divorce matters. You
can get started by filling out an online
case evaluation form and we will get in touch with you to discuss how we should move forward.
Contact us today and we can answer your questions and discuss your case with you.